Hawaii has long been one of the most popular vacation destinations in the United States, with miles of tropical beaches along emerald green waters and a variety of other natural wonders, from active volcanoes to seaside lava beds and blowholes.
It’s been a popular spot for a very, very long time. So long that it’s lost its appeal for many. It had it’s spotlight back in the 80’s, so it’s no longer the new, exciting hotspot that everyone is jumping too. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad place. It still has it’s beautiful and exotic culture. So many other more popular destinations have popped up and that are more talked about that we may have forgotten about these stunning islands somewhere along the way. Here are a few reasons why Hawaii is still a great choice for a vacation and why you should not doubt the magic of the islands.
1. Hawaii is a great spot for anyone who loves the ocean, with spectacular surf and ample fishing and snorkeling opportunities. You can also watch whales and dolphins jump and play on many of the ocean cruises around the islands. Swim with the sea turtles and snorkel with all sorts of different marine life. Star gaze in the beautiful night sky or take a walk around the magnificent volcano. Those and many more fun and exciting adventures await!
2. Speaking of adventure, if you are looking to get your adrenaline rush fix in, you’ll find no shortage of outdoor activities and other exhilarating programs. Zipline through the forest canopies, mountain bike, world-class surfing, remote scuba dives, and many more.
3. As expected from a scenic island, Romance is definitely always in the air in the Hawaiian Islands. It’s offers spectacular backdrops for destination weddings to renewing your vows. It’s a relaxing honeymoon getaway or just a much needed couples vacation with plenty of activities for love birds such as relaxing spas, delectable dining, glamorous nightclubs, or relaxing away at a stylish resort.
3. You can stay at some of the world’s most luxurious resorts and spas, or get back to nature with a picturesque beach rental or campsite retreat.
4. Hawaii is one of the best places for family destinations. ‘Keiki’, which is the Hawaiian word for children, are welcomed everywhere. Most of the hotels and resorts offer great low cost attractions for kids, with play clubs, kids menus, etc.
5. Hawaii has an international array of bars with tropical cocktails, dance parties, DJ’s, international acts, and more. If the party scene is not your thing, check out some of the after-dark showcase of art museums, galleries, and street entertainment.
6. Hawaii is an international and cultural melting pot. You can discover a fusion of China, Vietnam, The Philippines, Korea, Italy, Mexico, Portugal, and Thailand. And you can’t miss out on indulging in the local Hawaiian Regional cuisine; always made with fresh, local, ethnic infused ingredients.
7. Let’s not forget how important shopping is on the islands! From local craft, farmers markets, factory outlets, to mega shopping malls and high-end international designer boutiques.
8. The temperature stays steady from 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit, you will never be too hot or too cold! Hawaii weather is just perfect pretty much the whole year round.
On that last note, timing a vacation based on the best weather is pretty important for most. As stated, Hawaii has great weather all year-round but here are a few things to think about. While November through March is Hawaii’s “rainy season,” showers rarely last more than a few hours before the sun returns to the skies.
Summer happens to be when the weather in Hawaii is at its best, and all the attractions and tours are open. The best travel bargains are typically found in the fall, which make this time if year the busy season. Springtime in Hawaii is even less crowded than fall, and visitors get the added bonus of watching the island’s vegetation spring to life in colorful bursts of bloom.
The worst time to head to the islands is around the last week of April into early May, when thee islands are overrun with tourists due to “Golden Week” in Japan, which is a Japanese national holiday that used to be celebrated as the birthday of Emperor Showa, who passed away in 1989. Most businesses are closed and travelers from Japan head in droves to Hawaii.
I hope this helps restore your faith in Hawaii. It’s definitely still a great idea for an unforgettable vacation for anyone!
-Karen Bahriwatch movie Okja now