Like women, the hair of men requires regular maintenance. That trendy haircut of yours will be of no use if it isn’t cared for. Here are some essential hair care tips for men’s hair. You need not ask whether a man’s hair is an essential part of his overall look. After all, there’s just a lot to consider, including the length, style, and hair products to use.
When you look at it as a whole, the entire hair care process for men seems very overwhelming. However, nothing should discourage you from looking great at all times. That is why we are here to help. We’ll share with you everything we know from the ways on how to care for men’s hair to secrets on how to let it grow naturally healthy. At the end of the day, you should be able to come up with a hair care routine that every guy will want to follow.
Hair Care Tips for Starters
If you’ve just decided to start a hair care regimen, then these hair care tips are for you:
1. Dry your hair the right way.If you are like most men who just step out of the shower after washing and then rub it hardly with a towel, then you might want to think again. If you must dry your hair, pat it dry with a soft towel after shaking off any excess water. If possible, stroke your strands gently to the direction they grow. If you are like most men who just step out of the shower after washing and then rub it hardly with a towel, then you might want to think again. The truth is, hair is more susceptible to damage when it is wet. So if you rub it with a towel when it’s wet, you are causing some of your hair to become tangled in the threads, which eventually results in breakage. Not only will it stretch out your strands, it’ll also damage the outer layers, which usually result in frizz and split ends.
2. Take it easy on the heat.As a general rule for a typical man’s hair care routine, one has to cut down or at least avoid the application of heat. Of course, we understand that there is nothing like a refreshing, hot shower during a cold winter weather. But did you know that the hot water can only wreak havoc on your hair as it strips away the natural oils from your scalp and hair, hence resulting in dryness. The best way to dry hair is to simply air dry. If you feel you really have to use a hair dryer, be sure to apply a hair protectant first.
3. Wear hats if needed.There are times when you simply want to rock your look with a hat. Although there is nothing wrong with that, make sure you don’t overdo it. Avoid wearing hats that are too tight because they can only cause hair loss and damage as they pull too hard on your hair roots. It would be great if you wear a loose-fitting hat or cap.
4. Do not consider doing a comb-over.‘Is your hair slowly thinning on the top, but there are still a few strands on the sides? If so, then please do not decide to cover the bare spots with a comb-over. It’ll never look good that way. Simply do yourself a favor and get a decent haircut that suits your thinning hair. It should be as easy as that
5. Do not over apply hair products.Nothing will stop you from using hair waxes, hair sprays, and hair gels to achieve the hairstyle you want. However, as they always say, too much of a thing won’t do any good, and the same applies to your hair. Too much of a hair product will make your hair look heavy and unnatural. To look fresh and natural, use the right amount of product you need.
Here’s a quick review of hair products to use for your hair type: Is your hair slowly thinning on the top, but there are still a few strands on the sides? If so, then please do not decide to cover the bare spots with a comb-over. It’ll never look good that way. Simply do yourself a favor and get a decent haircut that suits your thinning hair. It should be as easy as that
Hair Gel – This product allows you to create a wet look that stays in place. It’s a high-hold product that gives your hair the shine it needs.
Hair Wax – It is no longer questionable whether or not a hair wax holds your hair intact. In fact, it’s tougher than a hair gel because it is oil-based.
Muds and Clays – Because these products are drier than other hair products, they tend to yield a lower shine.
Paste – It is the best option for men with medium to long hair. It usually gives out a medium shine and an average hold.
Pomade – This product is best used if you want to achieve a retro style with a high shine. Unlike other hair products, it gives lesser hair shine.
Putties – Like hair gels, putties are high-hold products, but it does not give you the shine you want to achieve.
6. Wash when needed.Washing your hair repeatedly won’t do any good to your hair. Just shampoo and rinse it. You need not repeat the process one more time. It will only cause your hair to dry out.
Tips on Growing Long HairDeciding whether or not to grow long hair is not different than deciding whether or not to grow a full beard. You basically need patience, enough time, and pretty much an idea of the style you want. Don’t worry. We’ll guide you through.
7. Stay healthy and strong.If you really want to pursue growing long hair, m8. Use the right tools.ake sure you own it. By that, we’re suggesting you commit to the whole process. There’ll be days when you wake up in the morning and it’ll look extremely bad. It’s really like growing a beard. There’ll be times when you just want to shave it off because you hate how it looks, but keeping on track through the tough times will truly pay off.
8. Use the right tools.Yes, you also need to invest in hair care tools if you want to grow your hair. And for you, all you need is a wide-tooth comb or a hairbrush with natural bristles. If you want to tie it up, you may also buy cloth-coated elastic bands. They’re gentler on the hair.
9. Know how to wash your hair.
Assuming that you have finally found the right shampoo and conditioner for you, it’s time to know how you should wash your hair. It all starts with using a wide-tooth comb before stepping in the shower. And then, begin with wetting your strands with warm water and then working the shampoo into your every strand. Next, rinse. Finally, apply your favorite conditioner. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing it out.
10. Avoid the sun.You probably know how over exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays can damage the skin. But did you know that it can damage your locks as well? Not a problem, though. There is actually a plethora of hair products formulated to protect your strands against the sun’s UV rays, such as shampoos, conditioners, and even hair protectants.
11. Protect the hair against chlorine.Do you love to swim? Be careful. The chlorine used in swimming pools can quickly dry out your hair, causing it to become very brittle. However, you can still do something to protect your hair before taking a dip in the pool. Rinse it first with regular water and massage a mild conditioner. That’s it. You can now enjoy swimming in the pool.
12. Be familiar with your scalp type.It is essential that you know your scalp type before you invest in hair care products like shampoo and conditioner. That is because each product is made for a certain purpose. What we want to say is that there is a shampoo for curly hair. There is also a shampoo for dry hair. So, be familiar with your scalp type first to save money from buying the wrong products
We listed some of the most common scalp types below:
Oily Scalp – If you feel your hair is often greasy and oily, then chances are, you have an oily scalp. For sure, you’ve tried a lot of shampoos that promise to cut down on the greasiness. While some worked, others did not. So, the next time you buy a shampoo, consider buying one that is labeled as balancing, clarifying, or strengthening, and avoid those that are labeled hydrating or moisturizing.
Dry Scalp – Do you feel that your scalp usually feels itchy and dry? Is your scalp plagued by dandruff? If that is the case, you have a dry scalp. Depending on the severity of the dryness, the shampoos and conditioners you should buy may vary. If it’s not so dry, then a shampoo that moisturizes and hydrates will suffice. Otherwise, you will need a shampoo that has tea tree oil or other moisturizing ingredients.
Normal Scalp – If you have normal scalp, then you can now breathe. Your hair is just manageable because it contains the right amount of oil. You need not complicate things when buyong hair care products.
Your goal is to simply find a shampoo that promises a balance between cleansing and moisturizing.
13. Be gentle with your greasy hair.It is natural for us to want to scrub our greasy hair to get rid of all the excess oils. But if you can help yourself, just don’t do it. Over-scrubbing can only stimulate the oil-producing glands on your scalp, which leads to the production of more oils.
Hair Trimming Tips
14. Trim your hair once every 2 months.
If you love your hair, it is best that you trim it regularly to get rid of any damaged strands that have split ends. Ideally, you have to trim your hair once every six to eight weeks. Relax! A light trim is already enough. Soon thereafter, you will be surprised how healthy and smooth your hair looks after a neat cut.
15. Avoid chemical treatments.Regardless if it’s a perm or a hair color, you should know that chemical treatments can cause your hair to become damaged, dry, and dull. Thus, you have to avoid those treatments. It would be best if you use a DIY home treatment instead. As long as you use the right ingredients at home, you should achieve the same results that you can get from a professional.
Lesser Known Hair Care Tips
The obvious tips have something to do with hair care products and how you apply them to your hair. But interestingly, there are other lesser known ways on how to keep your hair healthy and neat. These are:
16. Live a healthy lifestyle.
If you want your hair to reach its maximum potential, maintain a healthy lifestyle. Take good care of yourself and your health. Your hair will definitely appreciate all your efforts. True enough, what you eat will have an impact on your overall health and your hair. So, to stay fit and healthy, observe a diet that consists of the following:
Water – You need it to stay hydrated.
Biotin – To keep all the fatty membranes of your hair cells healthy, you should incorporate biotin in your diet. It’s basically any good fat that you see in food, such as avocados, nuts, and salmon.
Vitamin C and E – For proper hair growth, you need vitamin C and E. While vitamin E regulates proper blood flow, vitamin C, on the other hand, improves the production of collagen, which is an essential building block for nails, skin, and hair.
17. Get enough sleep.Believe it or not, your sleeping habits have an effect on your overall hair growth. Take note that your body only enters repair mode when you are asleep. Therefore, if you sleep well, growth hormones can do their work and speed up cell reproduction, including the scalp cells. If possible, get at least seven to eight hours of sleep to reap more benefits from cell reproduction and repair.
It is surprising how much care our hair needs, even if it is technically dead. And it’s not just the strands we are talking about. We’re also referring to the scalp. Lucky for you, we already listed some of the best ways to care for your mane.
By John Cicioni